Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Egypt Travel - The 2nd day (4/29) Doha sightseeing and to Cairo


Schedule

○Flight
  28APR 21:20 NRT → 29APR 05:20 DOH Qatar Airways QR803

○Doha City Sightseeing
  ・Old Souk (Souq Waqif)

○Flight
  29APR 13:45 DOH → 29APR 16:15 CAI Qatar Airways QR514

○Hotel
  Delta Pyramids Hotel

As there was 8 hours transit in Doha this day, I went out to Doha city for sightseeing.
But it is well known that Doha has hardly sightseeing spots. it's only these spots of Al Ahli Stadium (which is the stage of the tragedy of Doha), Camel market, a large shopping mall called City Center, and Old Souk which has old town atmosphere. I decided to try to go just around Old Souk.
And I used airplane again. after arriving at Cairo, I went to the Hotel by taxi.

Doha Airport

Doha was a big airport than I thought.
A large number of airplane had stopped on the ground as far as the eye can see.


I rode on the tour bus arrived in front of the plane, and headed to Arrival Station for immigration. but almost all passenger got off at the Transfer Station on the way to Arrival Station. after all only I and few passengers went to the Arrival Station.


It was a little anxiety when people were so decreased suddenly.
I however left the country after I paid 100 Riel (about 2000 JPY) for visa at the passport control.

I withdrew 200 Riel in ATM using my credit card and I left for Souq Waqif by taxi.
* It seems that waiting time for transit in Doha is very long in any flight. I wonder whether they might wait in Airport or not.

Souq Waqif

I arrived at the Old Souk by taxi. however it was before 7:00, so there had been so deserted as no one could be seen.
Since there is no way, I decided to kill time walking around.

○Fanar (Qatar Islamic Cultural Centre)


○Souq Waqif (Old Souk)


  there had been so deserted as no one could be seen.

○Clock Tower


○Mosque of Old Souk


  But I had been told that I must not enter here unless I was Muslim.

○Promenade


  I could see skyscrapers on the opposite shore from the promenade.


○Al Najada Mosque


These are all within walking distance.

As time passed, people had begun to appear.


Streets of Old Souk was like this. . . .



There were camels at the far end of the Old Souk. I was happy when I found them, but taking a closer look, their legs were linked by short rope as located at regular intervals.

Poor camels. . . .

A Japanese traveler had been smoking a waterpipe (shisha) in a cafe. then I shared a table.


He had also come to Doha in the same flights of Qatar Airways. and he was to go to Iran at the flight of 6:00 at night.
And he also said that he had bought the same cheap flight tickets as mine at last November. I bought around the same time. it seemed that Qatar Airways had been offering promotional ticket at last November. I found it at the first time that I had bought it by chance.

In front of such a cafe, local people were walking on horseback gracefully.


I was up the seat around 10:30, leaving him, and came back Doha Airport by taxi.

Doha Airport

In the airport, I took a lunch issuing a meal voucher by a ground staff of Qatar Airways.
Though I don't know detailed system, it seemed that we took a free food service in the airport if we wait a few hours for transit of Qatar Airways.


I chose beef. it's very hot.

There was a mosque in the airport.


Some ground staff were praying while they were at work.

Airplane

About two and a half hours from Doha to Cairo. it was a way that did not take so much when compared the time spent so far.
Before the landing. . . .


I could see the pyramids from the plane.

Cairo Airport



I was surrounded by a lot of people as soon as I got off the airport.

(a man) I'm a Government staff. What hotel do you stay?
(I) Pyramids Hotel in Giza
(a man) It is 150 Egyptian pounds in a taxi. please use my taxi because it is a fixed price. Let's go, come on.

He said to me showing a price list.
I read the guidebook of "Globe-Trotter Travel Guide Book" (which is the most famous travel guidebook in Japan), so the entirely same thing was written in it. "attention to the villainous fraudster waiting at the airport".
I thought to take a taxi at the first time, but I found it impossible to find a reasonable taxi for too annoying touts. so I decided to go by bus.

A backpacker's person helped me to use shuttle bus. I headed to airport bus terminal.
When I got off at the bus terminal, I also did get lost on the way. . . .

And there was a cruising taxi whose driver said to me that it was 50 Egyptian pounds to Giza.

I finally rode on it.

Taxi

The taxi driver said "Gi--zah--, Gi--zah-".
Really shady feeling.


As "Gi--za--, Gi--za--" he said pointing to the signboard written as "Giza Pyramids", for now I'm headed in the desired direction.
Besides, large traffic jams in the middle of the way. I wonder what to do. . .

But the hotel which I booked is within walking distance from the Pyramids. I had thought that if I went to the Pyramids, I was able to go to the hotel.

Though it took more than one hour because of heavy traffic, the driver said to have arrived in Giza. I showed him the map. "if you couldn't go there, take me to the Pyramids." I also said to him.
But he did different way. when he went to pyramid somewhat hotel, "Hey this is Pyramid, isn't it?" he did many times.
I asked people walking, but everyone replied that this was another place. so I decided to change taxi.
I paid him only 45 Egyptian pounds. I might have overpaid still. . .

Soon I could catch another taxi.
"This is Giza. but this hotel is far from here. it is Fifteen Egyptian pounds."
"So, please!"

Finally I arrived at the Delta Pyramids Hotel.
I had already used small change just before and I wanted to check whether intended hotel or not. so I told the driver to wait a little and I went to the reception of the hotel.
After I checked the hotel name, I ask the exchange.

"Taxi fare is 15 Egyptian pounds. but I had only 100 Egyptian pounds bill. exchange please."
"We cannot exchange." said the reception.

Nearby bellboy said "I'll exchange and pay. it is 15 pounds, isn't it? you may sit down here." so I ask him handing over 100 Egyptian pounds bill.

Then bellboy said to me "the taxi driver said your taxi fare is not 15 but 50 pounds."

We had a little dispute, but I took bellboy's advice to pay 30 pounds.

* Not only this time, but also several times after that, I disputed same things with Egyptians for example "fifty and fifteen" or "12 and 20". in spite of the fact that I emphasized N of "thirteeN", they demanded 30 in the end. at last I became to show "1", "5" by hand to check fifteen.

But I came here eventually by taxi fare of 75 pounds (1000 yen a little?). I found it was a pretty good price when I returned to the airport.

Hotel

I had another trouble in the hotel reception.


(Reception) I don't find your reservation.
(I) I booked. I also have a confirmation paper paid to the agent.
(Reception) You use this PC and contact to the agent, and ask them to fax to us.

Online chat with agent has been started.


The agent said that they couldn't check in this day and I had to wait till tomorrow. the reception also said that if they didn't take a fax from the agent, I had to pay $80 this day. he would return money when he confirm. but if fail to fax in time, I had to pay this and get back after return to home.

(I) I booked your room by $26 per night. why $80?
(Reception) the rate is agent issued. it isn't our problem.

Since there was no way, I paid $80.

There were few foreigners. but it seemed that hotel was full crowded with locals. they seemed also in trouble.

My room was on the top floor and for Pyramids.
It might have been the best room.


* I returned money from the reception at the next day as they had received fax from the agent of America. I stayed at this room two nights by $26 per night. it was lucky trouble, wasn't it?

Bellboy who did arbitration of the payment of the taxi offered the charter of the taxi the next day. it was 250 Egyptian pounds around Pyramids, Saqqara, Dahshur, and Memphis.

I met the taxi driver outside the building. and talked about the schedule of the next day. we would meet 8 o'clock next morning, and would go Pyramids, Saqqara, Memphis but except Dahshur because it was so far, and so on.

I took local meal for dinner.


Bellboy also said that Pyramids view from this room was very nice.
I want to see soon.


Next: Egypt Travel - The 3rd day (4/30) Giza one day tour

See from beginning

No comments:

Post a Comment